- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 5 to 5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- In a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add 1 tablespoon sugar; let stand for 5 minutes. Add milk and 1-1/2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes. Add the eggs, 1/4 cup butter, salt, remaining sugar and enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes. Punch dough down. Turn onto a floured surface; divide in half. Roll each into a 12-in. x 8-in. rectangle. Brush with some of the remaining butter. Roll up, jelly-roll style, starting with a long side. Pinch seam to seal. Cut each into 12 slices. Place, cut side down, 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Brush with remaining butter. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine cornstarch and pineapple until blended. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Place a teaspoonful of filling in the center of each roll. Bake at 425° for 12-16 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks.
- For glaze, combine sugar, vanilla and enough milk to achieve desired consistency. Drizzle over warm rolls. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews forHawaiian Sweet Rolls
"Oh my good gravy, these are 'licious. Growing up a hundred years ago, we used to buy "sweet rolls" and they would come in a slab of 12 and ya had to break them apart. Cinnamon, apple, cherry, and pineapple. I loved the pineapple and have been looking for an acceptable recipe and this is is. I adore these, if they had 10 stars I would give it 10 stars. Thanks so much for the recipe and a (unfortunately) long trip back to my childhood!1"