- 7 to 7-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup mashed potato flakes
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine 3 cups flour, potato flakes, sugar, yeast, salt and ginger. In a small saucepan, heat the milk, water,
- butter and pineapple juice to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add eggs; beat until smooth. Beat in vanilla. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/4 hours.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into thirds. Shape each into a ball. Place in three greased 9-in. round baking pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cover loosely with foil if top browns too quickly. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 3 loaves (12 wedges each).
Reviews forHawaiian Sweet Bread
"This is very easy and it turned out wonderful! Better than the store bought. Even made cinnamon tolls which were pure heaven"
"@Anonymousforever, this recipe is not misleading, perhaps you missed a step- the recipe clearly states, "add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough"So, in the beginning you will use 3 c flour, then you will add more to achieve desired consistency. (it will vary depending on your flour type, water type, etc.)I do hope you try this recipe & review the wonderful outcome! :)"
"This recipe is misleading! In the ingredients it states, "7 to 7 1/2 cup of flour;" yet in the directions it states, "combine 3 cups flour." So, which is it?"
"Wonderful! I wondered about the potato flakes but fantastic!!"
"There are no words to describe how fantastic this recipe is. I love making breads of all kinds and this one is unbelievabley good."
"Incredibly delicious! We love this recipe; you should try it. Tastes like the Hawaiian bread you buy at the grocery store."