- 1 package white or orange cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 package (3 ounces) orange gelatin
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple, drained
- 2 cups sugar
- 3-1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut (about 10 ounces)
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Additional coconut, toasted, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, combine the pineapple, sugar, 3-1/2 cups coconut and sour cream. Set aside 1 cup for frosting. Place one cake on a serving plate; top with a third of the remaining pineapple mixture. Repeat layers twice.
- Fold whipped topping into the reserved pineapple mixture. Spread over top and sides of cake. Sprinkle with toasted coconut if desired. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Reviews forHawaiian Sunset Cake
"I make this cake all of the time , it is wonderful but I add cream cheese to the pineapple mixture."
"This is a very delicious cake and really simple to make. Taste all home made, no one will ever know unless you tell."
"I took this cake to a family gathering, and it was a hit. I had someone ask me for the receipe so they could make it for their son's wedding reception..."
"Loved this recipe! So moist. Of course mine didn't look at pretty as the one in the picture lol...I to didn't let the pineapple drain enough...but I think that it let the juice get down into the cake and make it even more moist.... anywho...it was YUMMY!!!"
"This is a wonderfully moist, refreshing cake. Make sure to drain the pineapple well so that the icing isn't too "soupy"."
"I used an orange cake mix and I think I would use a white cake next time. It was a little to rich for my husband and I, but everyone that I gave the cake to loved it. At first I thought that the sugar was confectionery sugar until I looked at the reviews and seen that someone would use Splenda, which meant it was regular sugar. I think I would make that clear in the recipe. Great cake for a party."
"this cake is great"
"With an interest in shaving the calorie content, the next time I make this, I am going to substitute with fat free milk, sugar free gelatin & pudding mix, Splenda, light sour cream, and fat-free topping...in other words, I'll substitute whatever I can in hopes of cutting those calories. I hope it will still be taste worthy! I've done this with other recipes with a lot of success."