Hawaiian Joy Bars
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup rum
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/4 cups semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 1 package (10 to 12 ounces) white baking chips
- 1-1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 1-1/2 cups macadamia nuts, chopped
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- 1 ounce white candy coating, melted
- In a large bowl, stir the butter, brown sugar, eggs, rum and vanilla until well blended. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to butter mixture. Stir in 2 cups chocolate chips, white chips, coconut and nuts.
- Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a microwave, melt shortening with remaining chocolate chips; drizzle over bars. Drizzle candy coating over bars. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts1 bar: 429 calories, 25g fat (13g saturated fat), 40mg cholesterol, 252mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (38g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 22, 2017
This recipe was an epic fail for me. The rum made the dessert so wet and looked not cook thouroghly. I cooked it for 30 min and it was golden brown and edges were pulling away from pan. I thought if I left it in any longer it would of burned. I could taste the rum very well in the dessert too. Which I did not like. It was my first time baking with rum, so maybe I did not do something right, I don’t know. I’m trying this again with out the rum and I think it will most likely turn out better.
May 19, 2013
If you are hesitant to try this recipe because no one has rated it, don't be! I prepared this for a Tea Luncheon of 50 people and was asked for the recipe by HUSBANDS afterwards. It is simple to make, delicate but delicious in flavor and you can always cut back (or omit) the coconut if you are not a fan. I'd give it a 10 stars if I could!