Hawaiian Ham Salad
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling
- 1 can (8 ounces) unsweetened pineapple chunks
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained and halved
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium apple, chopped
- Lettuce leaves
- 1/3 cup chopped macadamia nuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- Drain pineapple, reserving 1 tablespoon juice. In a large bowl, combine the pineapple, rice, ham, water chestnuts and onion. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- In a small bowl, combine the yogurt, salt and reserved pineapple juice. Pour over ham mixture and toss to coat. Stir in apple.
- Serve on lettuce-lined plates; sprinkle with macadamia nuts and coconut.
Sep 12, 2011
I have not made this yet, but I think I would use pasta instead of rice and add celery for the water chestnuts or maybe both.
May 6, 2009
Was not to impressed with this recipe. Macadamia nuts are very expensive so I used peanuts. It just seemed like this recipe was missing something.
Apr 3, 2009
I tried this and it was excellent. Very tasty. I was able to substitute mayonnaise for the yogurt.