Hawaiian Beef Sliders
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + marinating Grill: 10 min.
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened crushed pineapple
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 18 miniature whole wheat buns
- Baby spinach leaves
- 3 center-cut bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- Sliced jalapeno peppers, optional
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice and 1-1/2 cups pineapple (save remaining pineapple for another use). In a large bowl, combine 3/4 cup reserved crushed pineapple, pepper and salt. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 18 patties; place in two 11x7-in. dishes.
- In a small bowl, combine soy sauce, ketchup, vinegar, garlic, pepper flakes and reserved pineapple juice. Pour half of marinade into each dish; cover and refrigerate 1 hour, turning once.
- Drain and discard marinade. Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, coat grill rack lightly.
- Grill patties, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat 4-5 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 160° and juices run clear.
- Grill buns, uncovered, 1-2 minutes or until toasted. Serve burgers on buns with spinach, remaining pineapple, bacon and jalapeno peppers if desired.
Nutrition Facts3 each: 350 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 74mg cholesterol, 444mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 4g fiber), 27g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fruit.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 5, 2018
To P.WW I do occasionally cook with very lean ground beef also. However, depending on the recipe, I have found that quite a bit of time I have to add some type of binder to encourage the cohesiveness of the beef. I have not tried this recipe yet but plan on doing it soon. Sablepsb
Jun 5, 2016
I did them inside on my ridged grill pan. They are very delicate, so getting a good crust on the first side was important before trying to flip them.
Aug 4, 2014
After reading the reviews, I made sure I drained the pineapple very, very well. Had no problem with the burgers holding together. We didn't use the jalapenos as most of my family doesn't care for them. Next time I think I'd use some pepperoccinis, though. I thought it needed a little more "kick," but the rest of my family thought they were great as they were.
Jul 29, 2014
I've fixed these several times. Never had any problem with them falling apart. No deviations from the recipe. But an addition of mixing some of the crushed pineapple, mayo and jarred diced jalapenos as an aioli / spread. I used the Kings Hawaiian rolls. This recipe (along with a pineapple baked beans from this site) adds a lot of fun to the typical backyard cookout.
Jul 29, 2014
I haven't actually tried these yet, but after reading the comments, I wonder if the people who had such difficulty with the burger holding together didn't drain the pineapple enough. I'm going to try these soon as they sound great. Also, a little added oatmeal might help if they don't hold together.
Jun 23, 2012
I love to cook and try new recipies. We buy beef from a beef farmer, as it extremely lean, I oil the pan for this prime ground meat. These burgers were a mess!! They need to be cooked in a burger basket to be able to turn them for sure. I did oil the grill. They were so mushy, I tried to make a sloppy joe type sandwich out of the heap of meat saved from the grill, and ended up throwing that mess out also. Very dissapointed in this recipe.
Jun 21, 2012
Patties did not hold together well and we used 80/20 chuck. However, instead of grill we "grilled" then on a double burner cast iron griddle and very carefully turned them after they had seared and they were great. We had the with Kings hawaiin rolls and left off the jalapenos.
Jun 20, 2012
Good recipe. King's Hawaiian Sweet Rolls also make a great bun for the burgers. Although small,, it is close to the White Castle size burger bun and you can make sliders for all your friends (by the bag).
Jun 20, 2012
Outstanding!! .... and the pineapple and bacon definitely work together (just think glazed ham with pineapple). In fact, the next time, I think I'll try grilled slices of smoked virginia ham instead of the bacon. Had no trouble finding buns, Martins Whole Wheat Potato buns worked just fine. Slight variations - used 80% ground beef; didn't discard marinade, but instead poured into sauce pan, brought to boil, then simmered for 10 mins, and brushed on burgers during grilling; used apple cider vinegar instead of white; didn't have jalapenos on hand, but there was enough heat with the crushed red pepper flakes (which can be increased/decreased as per personal tastes). Just wonderful, lots of great flavors going on there. Thanks Mary!!!
Jun 20, 2012
I made these and they were delicious. I did not have the falling apart problem some other posters did. Did have trouble finding the right size buns so just used regular slider ones and adjusted serving appropriately. They were a big hit.