Hash Brown Ham and Cheese Quiche
Hash browns form the crust for this colorful quiche that's chock-full of ham, cheese, green pepper and mushrooms. "It's a family favorite," relates Ella Woroniuk of Canora, Saskatchewan.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min. + standing
- 4 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup diced fully cooked ham
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, saute the hash browns, salt and pepper in 2 tablespoons butter until golden brown. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased 9-in. pie plate.
- In the same skillet, saute the onion, green pepper and mushrooms in remaining butter. Remove from the heat; sprinkle with flour. Stir in the ham, eggs and milk. Pour into hash brown crust.
- Bake at 350° for 25 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese; bake 5 minutes longer or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 165 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 108mg cholesterol, 364mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein.
Originally published as Hash Brown Ham Quiche in Quick Cooking May/June 2004