Hash Brown Bake with Prosciutto & Leeks
Emperor Nero thought leeks would improve his singing voice. At our house, we believe they add fresh flavor to this easy hash brown bake with prosciutto. —Gilda Lester, Millsboro, Delaware
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup sliced leeks (white portion only)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 12 thin slices prosciutto or thinly sliced deli ham
- 3 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 8 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1/2 cup shredded provolone cheese
- 1/4 cup loosely packed basil leaves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 package (6-1/2 ounces) spreadable garlic and herb cream cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Add leeks; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in salt and pepper. Remove from pan.
- In same skillet, cook prosciutto over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain.
- In a greased 11x7-in. baking dish, layer hash browns, leeks and prosciutto. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, cheese, basil and mustard; pour over top. Drop cream cheese by tablespoonfuls over egg mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Make-Ahead: Refrigerate unbaked casserole, covered, several hours or overnight. To use, preheat oven to 350°. Remove casserole from refrigerator while oven heats. Bake, as directed, increasing time as necessary until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 297 calories, 20g fat (10g saturated fat), 239mg cholesterol, 768mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 18g protein.
Originally published as Hash Brown Casserole with Spinach and Pancetta in Breakfast & Brunch 2015 Bookazine
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.