Harvest Watermelon Pie
This recipe is a great use for watermelon rind. Usually you don't use that part at all but it is so full of flavor! It makes a truly unique pie.—Lorri O'Reilly, Orlando, Florida
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 3 cups chopped watermelon rind (peel and fruit removed)
- 1-1/3 cups (6 ounces) dried cranberries
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- ORANGE GLAZE:
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- Place watermelon rind in a saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until the rind is tender and translucent. Remove from the heat; drain. Place in a large bowl; add the cranberries, walnuts and vinegar.
- Combine sugar, pie spice, flour and salt; add to rind mixture and stir well. Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom pastry; trim the pastry even with edge. Add filling.
- Roll out remaining pastry; make a lattice crust. Seal and flute edges. Cover edges loosely with foil. Bake at 425° for 20 minutes. Remove foil; bake 20-25 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown.
- Combine glaze ingredients; spoon over hot pie. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 470 calories, 21g fat (6g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 276mg sodium, 71g carbohydrate (40g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Harvest Watermelon Pie in Country Woman July/August 1998
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.