Harvest Turkey Soup
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Cook: 2-1/2 hours + cooling
Makes22 servings (5-1/2 quarts)
- 1 leftover turkey carcass (from a 12-pound turkey)
- 5 quarts water
- 2 large carrots, shredded
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 can (28 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 3/4 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 3/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach
- 1 tablespoon salt, optional
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Place the turkey carcass and water in a Dutch oven or large soup kettle; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours. Remove carcass; allow to cool. Remove turkey from bones and cut into bite-size pieces; set aside.
- Strain broth. Add carrots, celery, onion and bouillon; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Add the tomatoes, peas, rice, spinach, salt if desired, pepper, marjoram, thyme and reserved turkey. Return to a boil; cook, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 0g saturated fat (0 sugars, 0 fiber). Diabetic Exchanges: 4 very lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 1, 2015
So good! I added 2 15oz cans of white kidney beans (drained) instead of peas.... Try it!!
Nov 8, 2015
This is a family favorite of ours!
Jul 31, 2013
This soup was excellent! I made it with leftover turkey and commercial turkey broth. Everyone loved it.
Nov 25, 2012
I have NEVER made a turkey soup that even the dog would eat! They wound up in the trash, sadly. This recipe is FANTASTIC!Just made it and am jogging to make room for seconds! Thanks Linda!! A winner for sure. Only change I made was Bell's Poultry Seasoning instead of listed seasonings-a family favorite.Yumm!
Nov 23, 2012
I make this every year after Thanksgiving. The soup turns out delish every time. Great recipe, thanks for sharing this one!
Oct 9, 2012
Since the first time this recipe was published, it's been my "go to" recipe for turkey soup. My husband and family LOVE it! Thanks for sharing such a keeper recipe.
Nov 30, 2011
Delicious! My first time making a broth soup from scratch and I impressed myself. Everyone loved it.
Nov 25, 2011
Yummy loved this with the tomatoes.Will be doing this again often.Thank you for sharing :-)
Jul 23, 2011
Replace some water with chicken broth. Add the veges in the beginning and break up the turkey bones. Though out veges and put new veges into new soup with turkey parts.
Feb 3, 2011
This soup is amazing, my kids call it magic soup, since they say they feel better after they eat if if they are sick, it always turns out delicious & full of flavour. I substitute barley for rice sometimes!!