- 1 leftover turkey carcass (from a 12-pound turkey)
- 5 quarts water
- 2 large carrots, shredded
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 can (28 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 3/4 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 3/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach
- 1 tablespoon salt, optional
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Place the turkey carcass and water in a Dutch oven or large soup kettle; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours. Remove carcass; allow to cool. Remove turkey from bones and cut into bite-size pieces; set aside.
- Strain broth. Add carrots, celery, onion and bouillon; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Add the tomatoes, peas, rice, spinach, salt if desired, pepper, marjoram, thyme and reserved turkey. Return to a boil; cook, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until rice is tender. Yield: 22 servings (5-1/2 quarts).
Reviews forHarvest Turkey Soup
"So good! I added 2 15oz cans of white kidney beans (drained) instead of peas.... Try it!!"
"This is a family favorite of ours!"
"Delicious! My first time making a broth soup from scratch and I impressed myself. Everyone loved it."
"Yummy loved this with the tomatoes.Will be doing this again often.Thank you for sharing :-)"