Harvest Stuffed Chicken
This roasted chicken is easy enough to prepare every day, yet special enough for company. The corn bread and savory enhance the flavor of the homemade stuffing.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 2-1/4 hours + standing
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) cornbread/muffin mix, prepared as directed and crumbled or 3 cups crushed corn bread stuffing
- 3 cups unseasoned stuffing croutons
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 4 teaspoons minced fresh savory or 1 teaspoon dried savory
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 to 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 roasting chicken (6 to 7 pounds)
- In a large bowl, combine cornbread crumbs and croutons. In a large skillet, saute the celery, mushrooms, red pepper, ham, onions, savory, salt and pepper in oil until vegetables are tender. Add to crumb mixture. Stir in enough broth to moisten.
- Stuff chicken. Place breast side up on a rack in a large roasting pan.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 2-1/4 to 3 hours or until a thermometer reads 180° for chicken and 165° for stuffing. Let stand for 10-15 minutes before removing stuffing and carving.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 857 calories, 46g fat (11g saturated fat), 231mg cholesterol, 1244mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 2g fiber), 65g protein.
Originally published as Harvest Stuffed Chicken in Country Chicken Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.