This roasted chicken is easy enough to prepare every day, yet special enough for company. The corn bread and savory enhance the flavor of the homemade stuffing.
Recommended: Fall Farmers Market Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) cornbread/muffin mix, prepared as directed and crumbled or 3 cups crushed corn bread stuffing
- 3 cups unseasoned stuffing croutons
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 4 teaspoons minced fresh savory or 1 teaspoon dried savory
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 to 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 roasting chicken (6 to 7 pounds)
- In a large bowl, combine cornbread crumbs and croutons. In a large skillet, saute the celery, mushrooms, red pepper, ham, onions, savory, salt and pepper in oil until vegetables are tender. Add to crumb mixture. Stir in enough broth to moisten.
- Stuff chicken. Place breast side up on a rack in a large roasting pan.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 2-1/4 to 3 hours or until a thermometer reads 180° for chicken and 165° for stuffing. Let stand for 10-15 minutes before removing stuffing and carving. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Harvest Stuffed Chicken in Country Chicken Cookbook 1995, p67