This roasted chicken is easy enough to prepare every day, yet special enough for company. The corn bread and savory enhance the flavor of the homemade stuffing.
Recommended: Fall Farmers Market Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 box (7-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix, prepared as directed and crumbled or 3 cups corn bread crumbs
- 3 cups unseasoned stuffing croutons
- 1/2 cup each chopped celery, fresh mushrooms and fully cooked ham
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 4 teaspoons chopped fresh savory or 1 teaspoon dried savory
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 to 1-1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 roasting chicken (6 to 7 pounds)
- In a large bowl, combine corn bread crumbs and croutons. In a large skillet, saute celery, mushrooms, ham, red pepper, onions, savory, salt and pepper in oil until vegetables are tender. Add to crumb mixture. Stir in enough broth to moisten. Stuff chicken. Place on a rack in a large roasting pan. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until juices run clear. Or bake stuffing separately in a greased 2-qt. covered casserole at 350° for 45 minutes. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Harvest Stuffed Chicken in Country Chicken Cookbook 1995, p67