- HERBED BISCUITS:
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh basil or 3/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary or 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless pork, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons each minced fresh basil and rosemary or 3/4 teaspoon each dried basil and rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium rutabaga (1-1/4 pounds), cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 large carrots, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 3/4 pound fresh green beans, cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in buttermilk just until moistened (dough will be slightly sticky).
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 8-10 times. Roll out to 1/4-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. maple leaf or round cutter. Cover and refrigerate.
- In a Dutch oven, brown pork in oil over medium heat. Stir in the broth, onion, garlic, basil, rosemary, salt and pepper; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add rutabaga and carrots; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Add beans; cook for 10 minutes longer or until beans are crisp-tender. Combine cornstarch and water; stir into stew. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Pour into an ungreased shallow 2-1/2- to 3-qt. baking dish. Immediately top with 12 biscuits. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 15 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown. Bake remaining biscuits on an ungreased baking sheet for 10-12 minutes. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews forHarvest Stew
"I doubt that "6 cups cold butter, cubed" is correct. Can someone check the ingredients for this recipe? Thanks."