VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mashed cooked acorn or butternut squash
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a large bowl, combine 3 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. In a small saucepan, heat the squash, milk, water and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 24 pieces. Shape each into a ball. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 400° for 15-18 minutes or until golden. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Harvest Squash Rolls in Best of Country Breads 2000, p59
Reviews forHarvest Squash Rolls
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 16, 2013
"Made dough in bread machine. Delicious. Topped with cinnamon honey butter."
Reviewed Mar. 23, 2008