- 1 cup mashed cooked acorn or butternut squash
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup warm milk (120° to 130°)
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- In a mixing bowl, combine the squash, sugar, butter and salt; mix well. Stir in milk; cook to 110°-115°. Dissolve yeast in warm water. Add to squash mixture; mix well. Stir in enough flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down. Turn onto a floured surface; divide into 24 pieces. Shape each into a ball. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes. Bake at 400° for 15-18 minutes or until golden. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews forHarvest Squash Rolls
"Made dough in bread machine. Delicious. Topped with cinnamon honey butter."