- 4-1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mashed cooked acorn or butternut squash
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a large bowl, combine 3 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. In a small saucepan, heat the squash, milk, water and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 24 pieces. Shape each into a ball. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 400° for 15-18 minutes or until golden. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews forHarvest Squash Rolls
"Made dough in bread machine. Delicious. Topped with cinnamon honey butter."