Harvest Squash Casserole Recipe
- 1 large butternut squash (about 6 pounds), peeled, seeded and cubed
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup chopped fresh or frozen cranberries
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 2 cups soft whole wheat bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1. Place squash in a Dutch oven; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook 15-20 minutes or just until tender. Drain. In a large bowl, mash squash and set aside.
- 2. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large nonstick skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add to squash. Stir in eggs, sugar, salt and pepper. Gently fold in cranberries and pecans. Transfer to a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
For topping, combine bread crumbs and melted butter; sprinkle over top. Bake 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
Freeze option: Cool unbaked casserole. Sprinkle with topping; cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake casserole as directed, increasing time as necessary for a knife inserted in the center to come out clean. Yield: 10 servings.
3/4 cup: 273 calories, 12g fat (3g saturated fat), 72mg cholesterol, 593mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 10g fiber), 7g protein.
Reviews for Harvest Squash Casserole
"this was a big hit a jewelry party I had recently. I am making again for Thanksgiving"