- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 cup raisins
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger. Combine the eggs, applesauce and vanilla; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in the carrots and raisins (batter will be thick).
- Spread evenly in a 13x9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 15 servings.
Reviews forHarvest Snack Cake
"Great taste! Would make again"
"Seemed like there were some ingredients missing. Even though it did not call for oil, I added some but the cake was still very dry. Also used an 11 x 7 pan as a 9 x 13 would have left it flat. I would not make it again."
"I made the Harvest Snack Cakes for my daughter's class, and all the kids really liked them. My son's snack day is coming up in a couple of weeks, and I've already taken the request to make some more for his class."
"Great snack cake...if you like nuts, add walnuts."
"I didn't have any carrots so I substituted grated zucchini...delicious"
"Hi - I thought I might pass along this tip that I use, when baking with raisins.Sometimes when I put raisins in a recipe, espeicially if the raisins are dry, they tend to absorb too much of the moisture, leaving the cake( cookie, square, etc.) drier than expected or prefered. In order to avoid this, I will put the raisins in a small bowl and cover them with water( I prefer boiling water) and let them sit while I prepare the batter, then when it is time to add them to the recipe, I drain them and pat them dry. The raisins will be nice and plump and prevents them from absorbing too much of the moisture. Gerry Provick"
"I upped the applesauce to 1 cup and it turned out very moist."