Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 50 min.
- 6 bacon strips
- 1 beef top round steak (2 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) condensed beef broth, undiluted
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Hot cooked noodles, optional
- Chopped fresh parsley, optional
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp. Remove bacon to paper towel to drain; discard all but 2 tablespoons drippings.
- Cut the steak into six pieces and pound to 1/4-in. thickness; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place 1/3 to 1/2 cup sauerkraut and a bacon slice on each piece of meat. Roll up; secure with a short skewer or toothpicks.
- Brown roll-ups in drippings. Add broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 50-60 minutes or until meat is tender. Remove roll-ups; keep warm. combine flour and water to form a smooth paste.
- Bring cooking liquid to a boil; add flour mixture, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. remove skewers or toothpicks from roll-ups; serve with gravy over noodles if desired. Sprinkle with parsley if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 353 calories, 19g fat (6g saturated fat), 101mg cholesterol, 1369mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 2g fiber), 39g protein.
Oct 2, 2011
Wow these were great! Definitely will make again. My mom used to make something similar..yum!
Nov 7, 2009
I just made this dish for supper. Talk about a winner. Everyone has already asked for it again. Even my 5 year old gave it a thumbs up. The only substitutions I made were using New York strip steak instead of round steak and mashed potatoes instead of noodles. I can't wait to try it with the noodles!