Chock-full of raisins, apples and veggies with a touch of cinnamon, this comforting rice dish has real autumn appeal. For crunch, Nancy Jensen of Hamilton, Washington adds sunflower kernels.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1/3 cup sliced fresh carrot
- 2 tablespoons sliced green onion
- 2 tablespoons diced green pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2/3 cup chopped apple
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon sunflower kernels
- In a large saucepan, saute the carrot, onion and green pepper in oil for 5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add apple; saute for 2 minutes longer. Stir in the water, apple juice, lemon juice, brown sugar and salt; bring to a boil.
- Stir in the rice, raisins and cinnamon. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed. Sprinkle with sunflower kernels.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 288 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 318mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 3g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Harvest Rice in Cooking for 2 Fall 2006