Harvest Pumpkin Soup
A drizzle of maple syrup is the crowning touch to this thick and creamy soup. You can also substitute 4 cups mashed butternut squash for the fresh pumpkin. —Lesley Pew, Lynn, Massachusetts
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 45 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 1 cup chopped shallots
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 can (29 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 2 cups chopped peeled pears
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup white wine or additional reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- In a large saucepan, saute shallots and celery in butter until tender.
- Stir in the pumpkin, pears, broth, wine, water, bay leaf, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes or until pears are tender. Discard bay leaf. Cool slightly.
- In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth. Return all to the pan. Stir in syrup; heat through.