Sour cream and cream of chicken soup lend to the creamy texture of this tried-and-true casserole. My family prefers this to traditional mashed potatoes. —Mrs. Robert Cody, Dallas, Texas
Featured In: 62 Christmas Potluck Sides for 12 or More
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 8 large potatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup crushed cornflakes
- Place potatoes and bay leaves in a Dutch oven or large kettle; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Remove from the heat; cool to room temperature. Place in the freezer (still covered by the cooking water) for 1 hour.
- Drain potatoes; peel and grate. Place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Drizzle with butter. Sprinkle with salt and pepper; toss to coat.
- In a large bowl, combine the sour cream, soup, 1 cup cheese, pimientos and onion; spread over potatoes. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese; top with cornflakes (dish will be full).
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Originally published as Harvest Potato Casserole in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2003, p130
Reviews forHarvest Potato Casserole
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 15, 2009
"This is a very tasty alternative to mashed potatoes. I would add crumbled bacon or cubed ham next time. Needs a little salt added otherwise."