Harvest Pork Stew
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless pork, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cubed (3 cups)
- 2 medium apples, peeled and cubed
- In a large saucepan, cook the pork, onion and garlic in butter until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the broth, salt, rosemary, sage and bay leaf.
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Add squash and apples; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until squash and apples are tender. Discard bay leaf.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 289 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 77mg cholesterol, 853mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 6g fiber), 26g protein.
Feb 17, 2014
I did not put apples, instead I added 2 large Idaho potatoes, 1 large sweet potato, and half head of cabbage. It was delicious. My husband loved it. I used the exact measurements on everything else, and I cooked it in the crockpot all day. It filled my house with wonderful smells. I would recommend this stew with my added ingredients.
Nov 7, 2013
This is a family favorite, especially with our boys. Even as teenagers, they would ask me to make this and now our daughter-in-law makes it for her family. The combination of pork, squash and apples is wonderful!
Sep 24, 2011
I found apple to be a strange thing to put in a stew, but since we have a ton of apples from our apple tree I thought I would try it. The broth tasted good, but the apple just seemed out of place.
Sep 22, 2010
I have to admit I was sceptical about this recipe. But I had some pork that I needed to use, so I took the gamble. I knew it was a winner when I served it to my DH's football-watching buddies and they finished off the the whole pan. I should have doubled the recipe!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.