Harvest Ham Skillet
Jann Van Massenhoven of Hensall, Ontario dresses up ordinary ham in this speedy stovetop recipe. The eye-catching sauce features diced apple, green onions and dried cranberries, so it tastes as special as it looks.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2/3 cup apple juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 fully cooked ham slice (about 1-1/2 pounds and 1 inch thick), quartered
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium tart apple, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 2 green onions, chopped
- In a small bowl, combine brown sugar and cornstarch. Stir in the apple juice, mustard and lemon juice until smooth; set aside.
- In a large skillet, brown ham slice on both sides in butter. Remove and set aside. Add the apple, cranberries and onions to the skillet; cook for 2-3 minutes or until apple is tender. Stir in the apple juice mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Return ham to the skillet; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 380 calories, 17g fat (6g saturated fat), 98mg cholesterol, 2254mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 1g fiber), 31g protein.
Originally published as Harvest Ham Skillet in Quick Cooking November/December 2000
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.