Harvest Green Salad
I get rave reviews with this autumn salad. Guests say that it fills them up without weighing them down. Preparing the beets, sweet potatoes and salad dressing a day early allows me more time with guests. -Beth Royals of Richmond, Virginia
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling
- 3 whole medium fresh beets
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat balsamic vinaigrette
- 2 tablespoons jellied cranberry sauce
- 1 package (5 ounces) spring mix salad greens
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 4 ounces crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- Wash beets; trim stem and leave root intact. Wrap beets in aluminum foil. Place on a baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 1 hour or until tender. Remove foil and cool.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the sweet potato and water. Cover and microwave on high for 4-5 minutes or until tender. Cool.
- In a blender, combine vinaigrette and cranberry sauce; cover and process until smooth. Peel beets and cut into slices.
- On six salad plates, arrange the greens, beets and sweet potatoes. Sprinkle with cranberries and cheese. Drizzle with dressing.
Editor's Note: Use plastic gloves when peeling beets to avoid stains.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1-1/8 cups: 187 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 438mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat, 1/2 fruit.
Originally published as Fall Harvest Cranberry Salad with Berry-Balsamic in Light & Tasty October/November 2005
Oct 5, 2011
This is such a great fall salad! The combination of flavors is fabulous and is very colorful! and it's easy to make. Don't let the beets scare you, it is easy to do.
Mar 26, 2009
4 w.w. points