Harvest Corn Chicken Chowder
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups cubed red potatoes
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen corn
- 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium chicken bouillon granules
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1 can (12 ounces) fat-free evaporated milk
- 3/4 cup 1% milk, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and red pepper in oil until onion is tender. Add ham and garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the water, potatoes, corn, bouillon, thyme, poultry seasoning, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Add chicken; heat through. Stir in evaporated milk and 1/2 cup milk; bring to a boil. Combine flour and remaining milk until smooth; gradually stir into soup. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
Nutrition Facts1.330 cups: 306 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 763mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 3g fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat-free milk.
Feb 10, 2018
Love this chowder! Very hearty, easy, tasty!
Jan 6, 2013
This was just ok.
Apr 21, 2012
needs more seasonings. better before adding milk. will not make again.
Dec 23, 2009
I love this recipe!! We had a great corn chowder at a lodge in Wyoming one summer and I have been looking for a recipe that has the same consistency and good flavor, yet not full of fat. So far, this is my favorite. I like the ham in it, but you can make it without also.