Seal autumn flavors into a condiment that’s delicious any time of year. The gem-colored chutney is sweet and slightly spicy.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 medium apples, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 5 shallots, chopped
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup cranberry juice
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 4 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- In a large saucepan, bring sugar and water to a boil over medium heat. Stir in apples, cranberries, shallots, brown sugar, vinegar, cranberry juice, orange juice, zest and seasonings.
- Return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until desired thickness, stirring occasionally. Stir in pecans. Cool. Spoon into jars. Cover and store in the refrigerator up to 3 weeks.
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup: 108 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 89mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 2g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Harvest Chutney in Country Woman Christmas 2012
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.