- 1 medium butternut squash (about 3 pounds), peeled and cubed
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup white wine or additional reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 6 chicken drumsticks, skin removed
- 1 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the squash, tomatoes, onion, celery, broth, wine, garlic, Italian seasoning and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, seasoned salt and remaining pepper. Add chicken, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. Place chicken on top of vegetables. Cover and cook on low for 5 hours or until chicken juices run clear. Remove chicken and keep warm.
- Stir orzo into vegetable mixture; cover and cook 15-20 minutes longer or until orzo is tender. Meanwhile, combine gremolata ingredients.
- Transfer vegetable mixture to a serving platter; top with chicken. Sprinkle with gremolata. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forHarvest Chicken with Walnut Gremolata
"My family really liked this. I used halved chicken breast and couscous because I didn't have any orzo. I also used Greek seasoning because I didn't have seasoned salt. It turned out really well. The couscous soaked up the liquid and was thick and comforting. Next time I think I'll brown the chicken and saute the onions and celery as someone suggested."
"Looked great until I added the orzo, it soaked up all the liquid and was mushy."
"I really enjoyed this recipe due to the sweet yet savory flavor of the "squash stew" that results in the bottom of the pan. I think it would be better with chicken breast - the dark meat doesn't contribute greatly to the flavor and the drumstick is a little "soggy"."
"I found this recipe to be bland, despite having added salt and even hard Italian cheese as a last resort. The presentation wasn't very nice, either. The butternut squash was too soft and turned into more of a porridge. The overall result was not appetizing. I made this recipe to the exact specifications; perhaps the reviewer's additions would have rescued it."
"Since I am the creator of this recipe, I thank you for your comment. Try it again sometime with the orzo -you will love it! - Pat"
"This was delicious, and definitely dressier than the average slow cooker meal. I first browned the chicken (I used thighs instead of drumsticks), then sauteed the onion and celery briefly in the drippings for more flavor. We were out of orzo, so I drained off a cup of the cooking juices, added a cup of chicken broth and used the combined liquid to make rice pilaf. The gremolata added just the right touch to blend the flavors & unite the whole dish. Absolutely delicious--this is a definite keeper. Thanks!"