Harvest Chicken Soup
I like reading cookbooks and finding new twists to traditional recipe. This hearty soup is made with a colorful and tasty mix of vegetables and avocados. Spending time in the kitchen has kept me busy after retiring some years ago.—Bob & Georgia Crabb, Scio, Oregon
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 2 hours 40 min.
Makes8-10 servings (2-1/4 quarts)
- 3 medium onions
- 3 bone-in chicken breast halves, skin removed
- 4 cups water
- 3 celery ribs, halved
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 4 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 small zucchini, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 avocado, peeled and sliced
- Chop one onion; set aside. Quarter the other two; place in a Dutch oven with the chicken, water, celery, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 2 hours or until the chicken and vegetables are tender. Remove the chicken; set aside. Discard celery and onion.
- To broth, add the tomatoes, carrots, bouillon and chopped onion. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until the carrots are tender.
- Debone and cube chicken; add to soup with zucchini and peas. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until zucchini is tender. Spoon into bowls. Garnish with avocado.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 133 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 684mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 12g protein.
Originally published as Harvest Chicken Soup in Taste of Home June/July 1995
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.