This chicken has become a Sunday-dinner standby around our house. Friends and family always comment on the fresh combination of asparagus, carrots, potatoes and chicken.
Recommended: 21 Healthy Fall Stews to Warm Up Cold Nights
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 medium potatoes, cut into bite-size pieces
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/2 pound fresh asparagus, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine flour and paprika; set aside 2 tablespoons. Add chicken; seal bag and turn to coat.
- In a large skillet, brown chicken in oil over medium heat. Drain and set chicken aside. In the same skillet combine 3/4 cup broth, dill, salt if desired, basil and pepper ; bring to a boil. Add potatoes and carrots. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add chicken; cook for 10 minutes. Add asparagus; cook 15-20 minutes or until a thermometer reads 170° and vegetables are tender.
- In a small bowl, combine reserved flour mixture and remaining broth; stir into skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Harvest Chicken in Country Chicken Cookbook 1995, p39
Reviews forHarvest Chicken
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Sep. 13, 2010
"A family favorite in our house! First thing I make whenever I can get my hands on fresh asparagus!"