Harvest Autumn Potroast Recipe
- 1 beef rump roast or bottom round roast (3 pounds)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 3/4 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/3 cup prepared horseradish, drained
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 3 whole cloves
- 16 pearl onions
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (about 1-1/2 pounds), peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 16 baby carrots
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1. Sprinkle meat with salt and pepper. In a Dutch oven, brown meat in oil. Drain and remove from the heat. In a large saucepan, combine the cranberries, water and sugar. Cook and stir over medium heat until cranberries pop and liquid is slightly thickened, about 8 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- 2. Add the broth and horseradish; pour over meat. Place cinnamon stick and cloves in a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tie with kitchen string to form a bag. Add to Dutch oven. Cover and bake at 325° for 2 hours.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, bring 6 cups water to a boil. Add pearl onions; boil for 3 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water; peel and set aside. Add sweet potatoes to Dutch oven. Cover and cook 15 minutes longer. Add carrots and onions; cover and cook 30-40 minutes more or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Remove meat and vegetables; keep warm. Discard spice bag.
- 4. Cool pan juices for 10 minutes; transfer to a blender. Cover and process until smooth; return to pan. Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth. Gradually whisk into pan juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with meat and vegetables. Yield: 8 servings.
3 ounce-weight: 328 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 83mg cholesterol, 235mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 4g fiber), 29g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.