VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 medium onions, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- Place onions and water in a saucepan. Cover and cook over medium heat until tender, about 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in another saucepan, combine sugar, flour, salt and vinegar; stir until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in butter until melted. Drain onions and add to the sauce; sprinkle with parsley. Heat through. Yield: 5 servings.
Originally published as Harvard Onions in Quick Cooking November/December 1999, p49