- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 can (12 ounces) raspberry or strawberry cake and pastry filling
- 1 can (12 ounces) apricot filling
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 4 plain milk chocolate candy bars (1.55 ounces each)
- In a small saucepan, bring the butter, water and cocoa to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; set aside. In a small bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. Add the egg, buttermilk and vanilla; mix well. Beat in cocoa mixture.
- Pour into a greased and floured 9-in. round baking pan. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, beat cream and sugar until soft peaks form. Place cake on a serving platter. Set aside a fourth of the whipped cream. Frost top and sides of cake with remaining whipped cream.
- Spoon the reserved whipped cream into a pastry bag with a star tip; pipe a diamond-pattern lattice design on cake top. Pipe a border around top edge of cake.
- Spoon raspberry filling into every other diamond in lattice. Spoon apricot filling into remaining diamonds. Sprinkle with almonds.
- Carefully cut each chocolate bar along the scored lines into 12 rectangles. Arrange chocolate pieces around side of cake with smooth sides out; press into whipped cream. Refrigerate until serving.
1 piece: 444 calories, 20g fat (11g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 222mg sodium, 66g carbohydrate (50g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.