- 3 medium oranges
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 turkey (14 to 16 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 small onion, cut into wedges
- 4 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Turkey-size oven roasting bag
- 1-1/2 cups Champagne
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- Finely grate peel from oranges. Cut the fruit into wedges. Combine softened butter and orange peel. With fingers, carefully loosen skin from the turkey; rub butter mixture under the skin.
- Pat turkey dry. Combine the garlic powder, salt and pepper; rub over the outside and inside of turkey. Drizzle with melted butter. Place the oranges, onion, rosemary and thyme inside the cavity. Skewer turkey openings; tie drumsticks together.
- Place flour in oven bag and shake to coat. Place oven bag in a roasting pan. Place turkey, breast side up, in bag. Pour Champagne and orange juice over turkey. Cut six 1/2-in. slits in top of bag; close bag with tie provided.
- Bake at 325° for 3-3/4 to 4-1/4 hours or until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175°. Remove turkey to a serving platter and keep warm. Let stand for 20 minutes before carving. If desired, thicken pan drippings for gravy. Yield: 14 servings.
Reviews for Happy Orange Turkey
"This turkey was simply perfect! I didn't use an oven bag and substituted cooking sherry for the champagne. I dressed up the turkey but placing orange slices on the top. The gravy made from the drippings was amazing. This is a definite keeper!I made lemony green beans (TOH recipe) to go with this turkey. Awesome!"
"We had leftover Moscato from the holidays, so I decided to try this recipe with a 7 lb. roasting chicken. YUM! I cut the recipe in half and did not use the flour or roasting bag. I just basted a lot instead. My husband can't wait for me to make it again!"