Happy Clown Cake Recipe
Children will find this colorful cake irresistible! It's a snap to put together when you use a cake mix to bake one round cake and a dozen cupcakes. To serve, first pass out the cupcakes, then cut up what's left. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (18-1/4 ounces) yellow cake mix
- 1 cup flaked coconut, divided
- Yellow, blue, green and red food coloring
- 1 package (5 ounces) red shoestring licorice
- 1 can (16 ounces) vanilla frosting
- 2 mini peanut butter cups
- 1 package (2.17 ounces) Skittles bite-size candies
- 1. Mix cake batter according to package directions. Fill 12 paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Pour remaining batter into a greased 9-in. round cake pan. Bake cake and cupcakes according to package directions. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pan. Cool completely.
- 2. Place 1/2 cup coconut in a plastic bag; sprinkle five to six drops of yellow food coloring into bag and shake until color is distributed evenly. Repeat with 1/4 cup coconut and blue coloring, then with remaining coconut and green coloring. Reserve one licorice piece for mouth; cut remaining pieces into 2-in. to 3-in. pieces for hair.
- 3. Frost round cake with vanilla frosting; place on a 22-in. x 15-in. serving board. Press peanut butter cups upside down in place for eyes. Form long licorice piece into mouth and press into frosting (insert a small piece for smile if desired).
- 4. R remove liner from one cupcake and cut the top off. Cut the top in half again and press into sides of frosted cake for ears. Tint 2 tablespoons of frosting with red food coloring; frost bottom half of cupcake and press in place for nose.
- 5. Frost all remaining cupcakes. Remove liners from two cupcakes and cut in half; sprinkle with green coconut. Press flat sides against top of cake to form brim of hat. Sprinkle five cupcakes with yellow coconut and one with blue coconut; stack in a pyramid on top of brim to make the hat.
- 6. Push ends of small licorice pieces into frosting for hair. Place remaining cupcakes at bottom of cake to make a bow tie; decorate those cupcakes with skittles. Yield: 16-20 servings.
Reviews for Happy Clown Cake
© 2018 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC