- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 cups finely chopped peeled tart apples
- 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons water
- Coarse sugar and cinnamon-sugar
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to butter mixture until well blended. Divide dough in half. Shape each into a ball, then flatten into a disk. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Combine the sugar, cinnamon and allspice; set aside. Divide each portion of dough into 12 balls. On a lightly floured surface, roll each ball into a 4-in. circle. Place a tablespoonful of chopped apples on one side. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon sugar mixture; dot with 1/4 teaspoon butter.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg yolk and water. Brush edges of pastry with egg wash; fold pastry over filling and seal edges well with a fork. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Brush remaining egg wash over tops. Cut slits in pastry. Sprinkle with coarse sugar and cinnamon-sugar.
- Bake at 425° for 11-14 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews forHand-Held Apple Pies
"Sorry, cheated & used ready made pie crust. But they are so good. Freeze well, too."
"Dough was a bit difficult to work with on my first try, and of course they didn't look like the picture, but wowsa ~ these are really good! Yes, I used parchment paper in the cookie sheets. At my house we judge a recipe by if it's a keeper or not, and this one is! Well worth the time and effort ~ my husband is a big pie lover and he loved these!"
"Mary, have you tried Greek Yogurt to replace cream cheese? I've used it to replace sour cream and cream cheese before with no probs."
"Made this and they were so delicious. A big hit with all."
"Four stars for flavor. A little more time consuming than I thought. Mine did not come looking as pretty as the picture, and I definitely needed to grease cookie sheet or use parchment paper, as they stuck to the pan."
"What could I use instead f cream cheese as I am very Lactaid intolerant? Thanks for any help!"
"Very good and easy to make. I do not keep allspice so I used a little more cinnamon. Used Granny Smith Apples as I love the tartness. Will make a double batch next time."
"Made these for my family last week, was testing the recipe as I wanted to take them to a get together, they were delicious - even my son who is very picky loved them. Will certainly make them for our get together. Really delicious warmed up and served with a little ice cream."
"These are amazing! The crust is so flakey! Making more tomorrow!"
"I was so excited to make these, but I was a bit disappointed with the end result. The crust was a little bland, and the apples definitely need more flavor. If I made these again, I would have to tweak the recipe for sure."