Hamburger Veggie Soup
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 30 min.
Makes10 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 2 cups diced onions
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- In a large saucepan, cook the beef, onions, carrots, celery and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain. Stir in broth, tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce and hot pepper sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- In another saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Stir in flour until smooth. Cook and stir for 6-8 minutes or until mixture turns golden brown (do not burn). Carefully stir into soup. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 208 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 366mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 14g protein.
Sep 14, 2010
Made this tonight for dinner ..easy peazy ...added a can of corn..turned out delish ..has a nice creamy texture with the roux
Dec 25, 2007
Thank You ! This sounds wonderful! I am going to make some this week. Linda
Dec 25, 2007
I don't add the margarine and flour!