VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1 cup diced peeled potato
- 1 cup chopped cabbage
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 can (16-ounces) cut green beans or lima beans, drained
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 cups water or tomato or vegetable juice
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the soup mix and tomatoes; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Add the carrot, potato, cabbage, corn and beans. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add rice and water or juice; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes or until the rice is cooked and the vegetables are tender. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Hamburger Stew in Country Ground Beef 1993, p80
Reviews forHamburger Stew
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 14, 2014
"While the flavor was fine, there was just WAY too much rice for our liking. And then when we heated it up for leftovers, it was extremely dry from the rice absorbing the liquid."