Hamburger Steaks with Mushroom Gravy
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 envelope onion soup mix, divided
- Dash pepper
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-3/4 cups cold water
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) whole mushrooms, drained
- Hot cooked mashed potatoes
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the egg, bread crumbs, 2 tablespoons soup mix and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into four patties.
- 2. In a large cast-iron or other heavy skillet, cook patties over medium heat until a thermometer reads 160°, and juices run clear, 4-5 minutes on each side. Set aside and keep warm.
- 3. Combine the flour, water, Worcestershire sauce and remaining soup mix until blended; stir into skillet. Add mushrooms. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, about 5 minutes. Serve sauce with patties and mashed potatoes.
1 patty with 1/2 cup gravy: 325 calories, 15g fat (6g saturated fat), 123mg cholesterol, 920mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 25g protein.
Apr 10, 2018
I doubled this. I used one onion soup mix for the burgers and a beefy onion soup mix for the gravy. I used fresh mushrooms. I will be keeping this recipe
Jul 14, 2016
Easy and goes together quickly. I thought it was a little bland, so I added a little more Worcestershire and salt and pepper. Will make it again.
Apr 27, 2016
Very tasty! I added my burgers back in to the gravy and let simmer about 15 minutes. Gravy was great over mashed potatoes!
Jan 16, 2016
I just made this recipe for dinner tonight, and we loved it! I did taste the gravy near the end of cooking, and added seasoned salt since it was a little bland. My husband said that the hamburger steaks were very tender. We will make this again!
Nov 23, 2015
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!
Nov 20, 2014
Will make this again. I used sliced fresh mushrooms and a little salt..
Sep 17, 2014
Double the gravy - Yum!
Jul 21, 2014
this was the first time I made this recipe and it will go into my recipe box! I also would use fresh mushrooms next time. I used the entire package of soup in the meat and used more than half of a package of soup for the gravy. This was awesome and will make this again.
Dec 4, 2013
Easy peasy dish to make in no time at all, with ingredients I always have on hand. It is a nice 'comfort food' dish as well, so I'm sure I'll make it with some regularity through winter!
Dec 31, 1969
Made it exactly per the recipe. It was easy to make, but only 'ok' for flavor.