Hamburger Rice Soup
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 35 min.
Makes20 servings (5 quarts)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 14 cups water
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- In a soup kettle or Dutch oven, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the water, tomatoes, soup mix, Worcestershire sauce, salt, brown sugar, celery salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Add rice. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until rice is tender.
Feb 21, 2016
I followed the recipe but i did add my own flare to it.... ( i do that with everything i cook) and I loved it. The house smells great and the food taste great
Jan 22, 2014
The recipe calls for 14 cups of water. If I had used that much water, the soup would be incredibly bland. I assumed it was maybe 4 cups of water and got an average soup. I used fire roasted tomatoes, which made my taste buds ask for more kick, so I added cumin and chili powder. Then I added some garlic powder. Fantastic! I'm going to serve it with fresh cilantro and chopped green onions with Peppy Cheese Bread from this site. (Oh, and I used 1.5 lbs of ground chicken.) Now that "my" stew is good, it was hard for me to rate the actual recipe.
Oct 2, 2012
Not much flavor.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.