Hamburger Florentine Soup
I devised this recipe by adding herbs and spices to a dish in a recipe book that I received as a wedding present. It's a delicious way to serve spinach.—Mary Gillespie, Hollister, Missouri
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 65 min.
Makes10-12 serving (14 cups)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 5 cups water
- 2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1/3 cup medium pearl barley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) cut green beans, drained
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen spinach, chopped
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in remaining ingredients except spinach; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 40 minutes.
- Add spinach; cover and simmer 15 minutes longer. Stir to blend spinach into soup. Discard bay leaf before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 120 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 634mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fiber), 8g protein.
Originally published as Hamburger Florentine Soup in Country Ground Beef
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.