Hamburger Florentine Soup
I devised this recipe by adding herbs and spices to a dish in a recipe book that I received as a wedding present. It's a delicious way to serve spinach.—Mary Gillespie, Hollister, Missouri
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 65 min.
Makes10-12 serving (14 cups)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 5 cups water
- 2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1/3 cup medium pearl barley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) cut green beans, drained
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen spinach, chopped
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in remaining ingredients except spinach; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 40 minutes.
- Add spinach; cover and simmer 15 minutes longer. Stir to blend spinach into soup. Discard bay leaf before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 120 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 634mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fiber), 8g protein.
Originally published as Hamburger Florentine Soup in Country Ground Beef