I created this recipe one day after wondering why chicken was often stuffed with ham and cheese but not other meats. I tried it with hamburger and added seasoned bread crumbs for just the right touch. -Lee Deneau, Lansing, Michigan
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1 thin slice fully cooked ham, halved
- 2 slices process American cheese, halved
- 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 hamburger buns, split
- Lettuce leaves and red onion and tomato slices, optional
- Shape beef into four thin patties. Place a half slice of ham and two half slices of cheese on two patties. Top with remaining patties; pinch edges to seal. Coat both sides of burgers with bread crumbs.
- In a large skillet, cook burgers in oil for 4-5 minutes on each side or until meat is no longer pink. Serve on buns with lettuce, onion and tomato if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 489 calories, 24g fat (8g saturated fat), 88mg cholesterol, 878mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 33g protein.
Originally published as Hamburger Croquettes in Reminisce Extra October 2002
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.