Hambalaya Corn Bread
Donna Thomas from Dallas has won over 200 ribbons for foods she’s entered at the Texas State Fair. Among them is this savory corn bread, stuffed with sausage and ham, that took the blue ribbon in the Cornbread Cookoff. “It’s practically a meal in itself!“ notes Donna.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup diced fully cooked ham
- 1/3 pound Jones No Sugar Pork Sausage Roll, cooked and drained
- In a large skillet, saute green pepper and onions in butter until tender. In a bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, combine eggs and buttermilk; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in the ham, sausage and green pepper mixture.
- Transfer to a greased 10-in. ovenproof skillet or 9-in. square baking pan. Bake at 425° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 286 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 83mg cholesterol, 810mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 12g protein.
Originally published as Hambalaya Cornbread in Taste of Home August/September 2007
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.