Ham with Cherry Sauce
Joan Laurenzo of Johnstown, Ohio, shares an easy way to dress up ham at the table and have plenty left over for other meals. "The recipe for this sweet, tangy sauce was given to me by a friend nearly 30 years ago," Joan writes. "I usually serve this special entree with sweet potatoes, coleslaw or applesauce and rolls."
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours
Makes10-12 servings (1-1/2 cups sauce)
- 1/2 fully cooked bone-in ham (6 to 7 pounds)
- 1 jar (12 ounces) cherry preserves
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon each ground cloves, cinnamon and nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons slivered almonds
- Place ham on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Score the surface of the ham, making diamond shapes 1/2 in. deep. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until a thermometer reads 140°.
- In a large saucepan, combine the preserves, vinegar, corn syrup, cloves, cinnamon and nutmeg. Bring to a boil, stirring often. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in almonds. Serve with ham.