Now that I'm retired, it seems I'm busier than ever. But I always make the time to cook for the family. My kids and grandchildren think these sandwiches are a fun treat.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped fully cooked ham
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained and finely chopped
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 16 frozen waffles
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 4 teaspoons prepared mustard, optional
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the ham, mushrooms, mayonnaise, celery and onion. Spread mixture on eight waffles; top with remaining waffles. Place on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until browned.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour and salt until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Add mustard and cheese if desired; stir until smooth. Serve with wafflewiches.
Editor's NoteReduced-fat or fat-free mayonnaise is not recommended for this recipe.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 350 calories, 19g fat (5g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 1089mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 11g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Ham Wafflewiches in Country Pork