VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped fully cooked ham
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained and finely chopped
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 16 frozen waffles
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 4 teaspoons prepared mustard, optional
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the ham, mushrooms, mayonnaise, celery and onion. Spread mixture on eight waffles; top with remaining waffles. Place on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until browned.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour and salt until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Add mustard and cheese if desired; stir until smooth. Serve with wafflewiches. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Ham Wafflewiches in Country Pork 1996, p29