"With its light cream sauce and hearty filling, this recipe is great for picky eaters," says Delia Kennedy of Deer Park, Washington. "Even my husband likes it and he usually won't eat baked tomatoes."
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 8 large tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2-1/2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 2/3 cup chopped fully cooked lean ham
- 1/3 cup minced chives
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/3 cup water, divided
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 cup (8 ounces) reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Cut a thin slice off the top of each tomato; remove core. Scoop out pulp and discard, leaving a 1/2-in. shell. Sprinkle celery salt and garlic salt inside tomatoes; invert onto paper towels to drain for 20 minutes.
- In a bowl, combine the bread crumbs, cheese, ham, chives and 2 tablespoons water. Spoon into tomatoes. Place in a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- In a small saucepan, combine cornstarch and sour cream until smooth. Stir in the lemon juice, sugar, Worcestershire sauce and remaining water. Cook and stir over low heat until heated through; drizzle over tomatoes. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 245 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 737mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 3g fiber), 15g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 fat.
Originally published as Stuffed Baked Tomatoes in Light & Tasty August/September 2005