Ham-Stuffed Bread Recipe
I made this hearty bread at our daughter's wedding years ago. It caught on so well that I now serve it at all of our special-occasion events.
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-3/4 to 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 pound fully cooked ham, chopped
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1. In a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Add the egg, oil and salt; beat until smooth. Stir in enough flour to form a stiff dough. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Add tomatoes, garlic, salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat until liquid is absorbed, about 30 minutes. Remove from the heat. Add ham, vinegar and oregano; mix well. Cool. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; roll into a 14-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Spread filling over dough to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up, jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal and tuck ends under. Place, seam side down, on a greased baking sheet. Do not let rise. Bake at 375° for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 1 loaf.
1 slice: 247 calories, 15g fat (2g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 268mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein.
Reviews for Ham-Stuffed Bread
© 2018 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC