Ham Stew for Two
THIS DISH is one my husband and I enjoy any time of the year, and if I don't have leftover ham, I buy a thick slice and use that. Served with a salad and rolls, it's a quick meal for two, but it's also easily adapted for a larger number. -Judy Hall, Lockport, Illinois
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 cup water
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried savory
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- In a large saucepan, combine the first nine ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until vegetables are tender. In a small bowl, combine flour and milk until smooth. Stir into stew. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Discard bay leaf before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 452 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 72mg cholesterol, 2018mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 5g fiber), 28g protein.
Originally published as Ham Stew for Two in Reminisce March/April 2000
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.