Rarely do I come home with leftovers when I take this appetizing salad to family gathering and potlucks at work. It's hearty yet refreshing, and the edible "bowl" makes it fun to serve. Our two sons, 26 and 28, consider it a treat.
Recommended: Ham and Cheese Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/2 cup cooked small shrimp
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Lettuce leaves
- Additional dill weed, optional
- In a large saucepan, bring water and butter to a boil. Add flour and salt all at once, stirring until smooth ball forms. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Continue beating until mixture is smooth and shiny.
- Spread dough onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased 9-in. pie plate. Bake at 400° for 30-35 minutes or until puffed and golden brown. Prick the puff with a fork. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a bowl, combine the ham, celery, shrimp, green pepper, onions, mayonnaise, dill, salt and pepper. Line puff with lettuce; fill with ham mixture. Garnish with dill if desired. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Ham Salad Puff in Country Woman March/April 2000, p33