Ham ‘n’ Swiss Monte Cristo
"My husband works shifts, so sometimes he's eating breakfast at dinnertime," writes Dawn Davidson of Thornton, Ontario. "This sandwich prepared like French toast, is quick to make."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 slices bread
- 1 slice (1 ounce) deli ham
- 1 slice (1 ounce) Swiss cheese
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons beaten egg
- Spread mustard over one side of each slice of bread, then layer with ham and cheese; top with remaining bread.
- In a shallow bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, pepper, water and egg until smooth. Dip sandwich on both sides in egg mixture. Cook in a skillet coated with cooking spray until browned, about 2 minutes on each side.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 319 calories, 13g fat (7g saturated fat), 121mg cholesterol, 1153mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 19g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 medium-fat meat.
Originally published as Ham 'n' Swiss Monte Cristo in Cooking for 2 Winter 2006
Nov 20, 2016
This is a great brunch recipe! I use cheddar cheese and serve with strawberry jam.
Feb 28, 2011
This is a simple and easy recipe that tastes great. My children love it. I serve it with syrup and it has a yummy sweet and savory flavor in every bite!